-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jason Van
Pelt
Sent: 16 May 2008 16:00
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Why do you compile with the Flash IDE?

I use Flash Develop (and formerly Sepy) to write all of my code, but I use
the Flash IDE to create library assets and compile swfs.

A lot of the work that I do in Flash centers around writing code to build
"screens" or pages created by the designers. I find that, although it's not
perfect, I use Flash's Import PSD functionality quite a bit to bring
graphics into Flash and create a library of graphic objects.  I don't do
any timeline code; all of my swfs are one-frame, blank stage affairs with
everything built in classes as it should be. But I have found that
recreating the screens in the Flash IDE helps provide a frame of reference
for x & y positioning etc when I'm attaching graphics to the stage in my
code.

That being said, I am also interested in moving to a work flow that doesn't
require the Flash IDE as much -- and even posted a question to the list
asking how others are handling this.

Anecdotally, those of you that are seeing very long compile times in the
Flash IDE, are you on mac or pc?  I work on both and find that the mac
generally takes 4 times as long to compile a swf at a minimum.

Jason Van Pelt
Interactive Developer
504.210.1232 (p) / 504.581.2731 (f)
Peter A. Mayer Advertising, Inc.