Yes, but you'll undoubtedly use a server side script to access that
information form the database. Formatting that into XML and feeding it to
Flash means you get an XML object, which is simply a set of arrays to run
through.I just re-read your problem. And maybe I approached it wrong.
If you've already build your setup then every object has an id and all its
children should know what that id is (parent_id). But each object that has a
parent has a .parent paramenter, if its in its display list. and if your not
structuring it that way, you should add a parent parameter to your class so
that all objects know who their parents are. Then you simply call its id.
Hope that made sense.

2008/6/9 Vayu Robins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hmmm, thanks Ashim, but the site is managed by a cms that runs on a
> database.  Hence , the content is stored in a database.
>

> On 6/9/08 10:50 AM, "Ashim D'Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > XML will solve all your troubles. With as3 flash now natively handles the
> > E4X syntax. You'll be able to run through everything that way.
> >
> > 2008/6/9 Vayu Robins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I am struggling with something I never thought would be an issue.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to develop a 3 level drop down menu in as3 and I am connected
> >> a database where all the menu items are stored.  I am getting the stored
> >> data with the help of amfphp.
> >>
> >> I naively assumed I could just run the data I got from the database in
> some
> >> for loops and have the following structure:
> >>
> >> Topmenu1
> >>    Submenu1
> >>    Submenu2
> >>        SubSubmenu1
> >>        SubSubmenu2
> >> Topmenu2
> >>    Submenu1
> >>    Submenu2
> >>
> >> Etc.
> >>
> >> The top menus have a parent_id = 0. The submenus have parent_id = its
> >> parents id and so on.
> >>
> >> Could anyone please help me out of this pickle?
> >>
> >> Cordially
> >> Vayu

Random Lines 3D
My online portfolio