What you've got here is the case of a corrupted library item.  It happens
sometimes and there's only one thing you can do about it.

What we had to (and you have to) do is go through your library symbols one by
one, deleting each one until you find the sucker, and then replacing it if need
be.

Thank you for this. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's had this. I also gives me some way of looking for the problem. Currently my library has 297 items and removing them isn't straightforward because they're referenced in the code so it creates knock on errors. So it may all take some time.

Presumably this type of thing will get better with flash CS4 as ".fla" files will become an open XML based format and we'll be able to write out our own validators/checkers.

Cheers

Joe

Joe Cutting
Computer exhibits and installations