Please read my post again. While I agree this is not the way most updates
were made in the past, this is the way *certain* security updates were done
in the past. Most notably:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/fplayer_security.html

Read specially page 3. This was a big issue at the time and one that
affected me directly; I had a socket server running on a server and all of a
sudden it wouldn't work anymore. I couldn't publish a crossdomain.xml file
on the socket server because it did not have an http server, so there was no
obvious solution to the problem.

There's plenty of examples of changes that maintained backwards
compatibility. I never said anything to the contrary. My point is that there
are also examples that *did* break backwards compatibility, that one being
the most notable I can remember. And I honestly don't think this has
anything to do with Macromedia or Adobe "styles".

Zeh