Hi,

I ran into this issue the other day with the base class & linkage ID too. Finally got my head around the "base class" idea - I was working on the principle that my custom super class should be the base class to my specific custom classes - in a polymorphic kind of way, but finally realised that "base class" was at the top of my class parentage - a bit dumb of me, but I guess this fact may be a bit ambiguous. Anyway, I was trying to get my instances of clips placed at author-time wired up automatically at run-time in my custom class, but was torn between the "declare" or "not-declare" method. Eventually it was forced on me and I encountered the same error as you when trying to declare them as private in AS...

I don't mind declaring my stage instances in AS, but the problem I have is making them public. I am trying to work in an OOP way and encapsulate my clip properties and methods, therefore it should be none of any other class's damn business what is contained within my clip if I don't want to tell. My point is, whether I drop my objects on stage, or create them in AS, I should be able to make them private. I also don't understand why they have to be public and would like to know. Until then, I am probably going to have to workaround it...

   Not much help to you, but fuel for the fire...

   Glen
My question then, why exactly do you have to declare a stage instance in a
content movie as public manually? I know it has something to do with who's
display list it is on but I don't quite understand how that heirarchy forces
this issue.

Sorry so long winded.

--

Glen Pike