First time posting on this list, hope y'all can help with this one, it should be easy, but having gone through what seems to be every possible permutation, I can't get it right.

in the main movie, there's a button named "upperoffice", and the event listner correctly triggers the displayinfobox function to send the movieclip infoboxmc to a named frame... the code in frame 1 of the main movie:

        upperoffice.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, displayinfobox);
        function displayinfobox(event:MouseEvent):void
        {
                infoboxmc.gotoAndStop("mainoffice");
        }

That works as expected. Now, there's a button in the infoboxmc movieclip that I'd like to have send the movieclip to another named frame, I expect that I need to have the event listener point to the button in the movieclip, some thing like

        infoboxmc.closethat.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, closeinfobox);
        function closeinfobox(event:MouseEvent):void
        {
                infoboxmc.gotoAndStop("blank");
        }

but that does not work....

I get something like: "TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
        at interactivecampmap1_fla::MainTimeline/frame1() "

this should be pretty simple, but I can't come up with a path that correctly targets the button inside the movieclip, can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Michael