-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Norman
Cousineau
Sent: maandag 1 december 2008 21:02
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: [Flashcoders] eLearning content starting from XML - best practice

Hi Flashcoders,

I'm currently using a product called Unison for creating eLearning.
It produces an XML file that contains all info needed for the SCO:
attributes at the root level to describe preferences, and child nodes
to describe topics and pages. Each of those has its own set of
preferences defined in attributes.

The main FLA builds the table of contents and displays content using
a "procedural" programming approach (using 4 .as files included
on a timeline).

The XML object is manipulated as an XML object, the info is NOT
converted to any other type of AS object.

In my opinion, it would make sense to convert all the XML nodes to AS
objects. At the top level could be a "Course" whose members mirror
the root level attributes of the XML. Further, each  Course has Topic
instances, and each Topic has Page instances.

This seems more manageable to me, but it creates a bunch of objects
in memory, rather than just working with one XML object.

I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with this kind of
architecture, so I'd like to know your opinions.

Thanks,

Norm
8:23