Ele,
   May be worth posting to the Papervision mailing list.

I haven't looked at your issues in depth - but it may simply be that
you're asking Flash to do too much. 2000 may be a recommendation for
the number of planes, but your actual performance will vary depending
on how many other animations and things you are asking the Flash
Player to cope with, whether your MovieMaterials are animated, how
much of the screen is being redrawn on each frame...

But I'm no expert on PV3D - post to their list and you should get more
helpful answers.

Cheers,
   Ian