I currently work on an application that is winforms .NET (C#) that the UI is
in-part a Flash swf. We use f-in-box
(http://www.f-in-box.com/)<http://www.f-in-box.com/> as
the wrapper and send/receive quite a bit of data between the forms and the
swf. We currently have a mixture of using ExternalInterface calls and a
socket connection. We implemented the external interface first and found
that in some cases it's performance was a bit slow, but it does offer the
advantage of synchronous calls, so we (so far) have only
migrated performance critical calls to a socket connection. For the most
part this scenario works really good and I can easily see doing an entire
app this way.

Steve