Thanks Jonathan, Sorted the problem basically i had to use this code...

function setValue (pValue:String):Void
{
        for (var i:Number = 0; i < comboBox.length; i++)
        {
                if (comboBox.getItemAt(i).data == pValue)
                {
                        comboBox.selectedIndex = i;
                        break;

setValue ("MyVariable");

Regards
SJM

jonathan howe wrote:
That sounds like a potential for unneeded redundancy/potential sync errors
if things change later.. Better to use the ComboBox.getItemAt() method,
right?

trace(myBox.getItemAt(4).label);
-jonathan