Hi cool list...

I'm trying to create a subtle/smooth rollover animation of elements that react
(scale) to the mouse position, and are aware of each other, so they move out of
the way for each other instead of overlapping.

I came across this subject a couple of times on the internet, but I can't find
it with google anymore.

The following image explains the simple subject:
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7434/testuu7.gif

The following image explains more what I want design-wise:
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5407/test2ec9.gif

Somebody who can point me in the right direction?

Can I do this with a physics-engine? Without gravity, but with the awareness of
the other elements?

How would you do it?

Thanks!