Jobe Makar's book about Flash Games Demystified has a wordsearch that shuffles words in a grid - it will keep shuffling upto a point, then decide that it is getting nowhere and try again. There may be some examples of this sort of thing online - I have the book at home if not :)

Paul Steven wrote:
I am trying to write the code to populate a 9 by 9 grid of tiles with 40
pairs of matching tiles.

I have 4 different types of tiles and I want to create a grid that has 40
matching pairs and 1 blank tile.

I do not want the pairs all to be next to each other but there needs to be
at least one solution that enables a player to match each and every pair. To
match a pair there needs to be a clear path between each member of the pair.

1,2,1
2,0,3
4,4,3

In this simple example, a user could clear all tiles by matching in the
following order:

4 - 4
3 - 3
2 - 2
1 - 1

Note that until they have matched the pair of 2's they cannot match the 1's
as there would be no clear path between them.

All my attempts so far to create this grid is resulting in script errors due
to my code being unable to find a solution. My code basically gets about 60%
of the board created then finds it cannot any more clear paths to create the
remainder of the grid.

I would really appreciate any help cracking this function.

Thanks

Paul