What class are you subclassing to make your component?  UIComponent defines
a protected measure() function which some other internals use to figure out
how big a component is.  Maybe you need to implement an override of that?

The docs show InteractiveObject having a "focusRect" property, but they
don't give much detail about it.

If you're using Flex classes, remember that FlexBuilder comes with the
source code for the Flex classes.  I have had to resort to reading Flex
class source many times to understand things that the docs don't describe
well. :-/

Dave