I have a byte question.
I have to store a walkable area so a character 'knows' where it can walk or not. Currently I am using a multi-dim array based on the x and y pos of the tiles .

so [[1],[0],[1]..etc]

where pos(0,0) => array[0][0] => 1 (walkable)

I was wondering if I could store this using a bytearray, for storing and possibly faster lookup using bitwise operators. I am very knew to this, so I am ot sure where to begin and how to deal with it. The range of int is sufficient to store all the data, because a full walkarea would take 370560 (772*480) elements in the previous mentioned multi array.

I could be completely wrong, but would like some advice.

Jiri