photoStrip_mc["thumbnail" + I]_mc._width

and

photoStrip_mc.thumbnail[I]_mc._width

won't work.

"[]" basically serve the purpose of periods.... they represent
heirarchy, they don't perform an eval() (there is no AS3 equivalent of
AS2's eval() btw).

You were on the right path with: photoStrip_mc["thumbnail" + i + "_mc"]._width

The only issue I see wrong is using "._width" instead of ".width"

Then again, it is out of context, so I don't know what the rest of
your code is, it might be that you are not properly assigning the
values.

As Muzak mentioned, I also usually just store mc's that I need to loop
through in an array and do it that way.

- Taka