To quote a comment:

"It's called a vector because Alex Stepanov, the designer of the Standard Template Library, was looking for a name to distinguish it from built-in arrays. He admits now that he made a mistake, because mathematics already uses the term 'vector' for a fixed-length set of numbers. Now C++09 will compound this mistake by introducing a class 'array' that will behave similar to a mathematical vector.

Alex's lesson: be very careful every time you name something.
"

Juan Pablo Califano wrote:
Well, the word vector has more than one meaning. This same question was
asked sometime ago in stackoverflow, about C++ std vectors. You might like
to check it out.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/581426/why-is-a-c-vector-called-a-vector

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano