Hi,

   Is there any way of "testing" the validity of fonts on PC's?

I ask as we have a similar problem with Adobe Premiere Pro 2 where fonts are causing the program to crash... Not sure how you "validate" on a Mac, but if there is some kind of tool to do this...

Googling shows what looks like a lot of complaints about Adobe stuff suffering from "dodgy font" crashes - it seems ironic that a company dealing mainly in graphics software can't seem to write a program that fails gracefully when something graphical goes wrong ;|

Any tips on fonts are most appreciated as we have about 700 or more installed (and never used...)

   Glen

Kenneth Kawamoto wrote:
Cheers for the heads up Steve. I got to the bottom of this CS4 crash issue on my G5 last night. The culprit - FONTS.

I went through every single fonts I had in my machine (god knows how many - some of them were originally installed on my various ancient Macs before even you were born) in Font Book and deleted all the fonts did not pass the validation test.

That was it. After got lid of all the dodgy fonts and duplicates, CS4 runs on my G5 as it should do - no crash whatsoever.

Just to let you know I did save the FLA as CS3, just in time before CS4 crashes (I had about 20 seconds to play before the crash) but noticed my FLA didn't compile in CS3 because of ColorMatrix etc not available in CS3. Not a workaround there.

Funny thing is the same set of fonts have no issues on my Quad Intel Mac.

Kenneth

Kenneth Kawamoto
http://www.materiaprima.co.uk/

Stephen Matthews wrote:
Hi mate,

You sound as stressed as me.

I am sure that CS4 was designed to be run better on Intel Macs.

I would reinstall CS3 and back-save your flash files to CS3 if you are on a deadline.
Also the online help is not online on CS3 - which is much better.
You'll probably get better performance out of CS3 on a G5 anyway.

If this is not an option - turn off "Spaces."
Try and work locally and back up stable versions regularly.

Make sure your hard drive has at least 10-15GB free - that always affects me.

I wish you good luck and fortune. From a fellow flash coder who is also going through hell. :(

Regards

Steve M

Glen Pike
01326 218440