> OMG... I now know, or think I know, what you are talking about, and I am an
> idiot for not realizing it sooner. (should have realized it when you said
> "end point")
>
> The client exchanges keys and requests, while the proxy pretends to be the
> server in question, and the proxy pretends to be the client sending and
> receiving data to and from the real server; thus, enabling the man in the
> middle attack.

Well, in your case, the client wouldn't have to use keys at all - it
could talk to the proxy via HTTP. The proxy could, in turn, talk to
the target server via HTTPS. This isn't really a MITM thing, when you
do it like this.

> Only one question remains...  what if the server and client will only accept
> the use of known certificates?

Normally, in a true MITM situation, that would be a problem. In this
case, it won't be a problem, as the server will present its
certificate to the proxy, the proxy will accept it, and that will be
that. If you're also using client certificates, that complicates
things a bit, but based on your previous emails it's not clear whether
that's the case - and with both the proxy and the client certificate
installed on the same machine it still shouldn't be a problem,
although I haven't tried using client certificates with Paros Proxy
specifically.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/