Anthony Pace wrote:

> Good work, but not so unique his patents should hold developers back
> from taking it ten steps further.

You may be right--I hope you are--but I have ceased to try to understand
U.S. patent law. If a company can patent an *idea* like plug-ins, and force
companies like Microsoft to pay up and/or use other technology, who knows
what can be patented?

<rant>Patent law is supposed to encourage innovation. The way it's being
used, at least in America these days, *discourages* innovation. Anybody with
a two-bit idea can patent it, and the onus is on others to prove prior art.
Copyright law is going the same way. In a twisted sense, I have some
sympathy for China and other countries that ignore intellectual-property
laws.</rant>

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson