Thanks for all the new advice. Yes I figured a recursive solution was
required and even though my code doesn't technically recurse, it more or
less does the same thing.

Anyway I have just figured out the problem with my code after painstakingly
tracing variables for the last few days.

I was not accounting for the fact a word can be placed either "across" or
"down" in my backtracking code. So words were being crossed off the list
without giving them a second chance at having a stab at trying all
combinations that occurred from placing it in the alternative orientation
(assuming this was a valid positioning).

I am extremely pleased to have cracked this and will celebrate with a cold
beer in the garden. I will also come back and look implementing a recursive
solution - thought the word recursion hurts my head:)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks again to Paul and Charles for their help in my times of need.