I believe you're talking about "curly quotes" and yes you can include them BUT you have to embed them specifically by copying and pasting them into the embed characters field on the TextField in Flash as they're not included in the basic glyph set.

Also, you have to make sure the font you're using has those curly quotes.

Paul Freedman wrote:
I've never dealt too carefully with the appearance of text. As a developer,
that was always the designer's problem. Fortunately, I've always worked with
designers who accommodated my - and Flash's - limitations, and let me import
.txt files and re-create their formatting as best I could using TextFormat
objects.

Now, I'm importing poems from Word .docx files. The poet has used slanted quotes and apostrophes. He's mighty picky about the appearance of his work. I'll point out that I'm already passing the txt through a routine that strips the carriage-returns, leaving only the linefeeds, so that I get proper line distribution. I can substitute normal ascii vertical quotes, etc, but he likes the way it looks as he did it. Short of making jpgs of his pages (and there are 1000 of them), can I display them as he wishes?
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Freedman