Ok, here's an update on this. I built a test rig and managed to reproduce the problem and found out that
it only happens:
- If you're using Firefox (IE and safari are fine)
- If you're NOT using StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE
- If the buttons which call the fullscreen change are using MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, it doesn't happen if they're using MouseEvent.CLICK

So the solution is to make sure that the buttons you use to select fullscreen mode are using MouseEvent.CLICK not MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN.

This still leaves me with two versions - the SwfObject one and the CS4 Javascript one. The links are below:
CS4 Javascript
http://www.joecutting.com/demos/MySpace/starLoader.html
SwfObject
http://www.joecutting.com/demos/MySpace/starLoaderSO.html

Ian reported problems with the Javascript version and Chrome. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has problems with one or the other.

Cheers

Joe

Joe Cutting
Computer exhibits and installations