Most of those zoomers use preprocessed images. I.e. there are large
and small versions already on the server. A more extreme example is
Zoomer which during setup you run an app that cuts your image into
bunches of squares and then during runtime web client load squares as
needed.

I would start with just large and small versions, use a mask on the
large, figure out the ratio between the large and the small and
position the large image in reverse proportion to the dragged
hourglass frame times the ratio.

-jonathan

-jonathan howe