> I have a menu bar component
>
>     <mx:MenuBar id="mainMenu" labelField="@label"
> click="{MenuEvent(event)}"
>                 itemClick="{MenuItemEvent(event)}">
>
> Everytime I create a handler like this:
>
>     private function MenuItemEvent(e:MenuEvent):void
>
> I get a "Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: MenuEvent"
>
> But, I've explicitly imported this event:
>
>     import mx.events.MenuEvent;
>
> Am I going mad? What am I doing wrong? I'm using standalone Flex Builder
> 3.0.2.214193 on Windows XP- not the Eclipse plug-in.

You appear to also have an event handler called MenuEvent assigned to
the click handler of the MenuBar. Also, you don't need bindings for
event handler values. You only need bindings to use AS expressions in
non-event attributes of MXML elements. Finally, it's arguably bad form
to name things other than classes in title case - the convention is to
use camel case for variables and functions.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.