It may be helpful to discuss with clients something that we should always be
doing when developing Flash web apps anyway; alternative content.  And I
mean giving the non-Flash user something more than just a link to download
the Flash plugin.

To respond to client concerns and provide a great user experience I think
we'll be devoting more time and budget to building a non-Flash alternative,
using whatever technology is appropriate, that provides a similar user
experience to what we build in the Flash.  Which of course will raise the
question, "Why create a Flash version in the first place?"  I think the
answer to that will continue to be the reasons we've been using it all
along:

- gorgeous timeline based and programatic animation
- video & audio, these won't be going away just because you can do it
another way.. and when you can integrate video & audio with Flash's other
capabilities, there's nothing else that can compete right now
- a rich API that provides powerful integration with the web and desktop,
which also makes it adaptable to whatever need the client wakes up with
tomorrow
- you can create a seamless exerience regardless of your target software and
hardware platform (except for a few *ahem* exceptions).
- a massive user share that I expect will continue to grow when v10.1 drops
- a similarly massive developer base, including many open-source projects
providing even more depth to the API
- integration with Adobe's other products, and I don't believe that any of
those will be dropping out of the market any time soon.

In short, I think that developing richer alternate content (black & white)
could be that little bit of shugar that helps a fearful client swallow the
big Flash pill (kodachrome). :)

(ps:  Yes, I know I spell 'shugar' incorrectly.)

Andrew Murphy
Interactive Media Developer
amur...@delvinia.com

Delvinia