>> Html pages, word documents and pdf's. It's about the text only and the
>> layout doesn't matter.
>>
>> Is flash the right choice for this?
>
> if your are talking about a standalone app (projector), I think the
> answer is: no
>
> parsing word docs and PDF files to extract the text data isn't trivial,
> in my opinion the best solution is to use existing open source
> commandline tools for this, like e.g. pdftotext (part of xpdf) and
> antiword or wvText (part of wv library). since there is no easy way to
> call commandline tools from flash projectors, I'd recommend to either
> use a flash wrapper (like zinc or ScreenweaverHX/HaXe) that can do this,
> or another RAD solution like e.g. director, RuntimeRev or REALbasic.

just to show what a great tool director used to be :-), here a little
standalone windows app that can extract the text contents of both PDF
and MS Word files (using xpdf and antiword under the hood):
http://dasdeck.com/staff/valentin/tmp/textExtract.zip

it took me about 10 minutes to write it, and it would maybe take another
5 minutes to add basic HTML support, and another 5 minutes to port it to
Mac.

cheers,
valentin