Yes I sent that to the wish list, to make AS4 fairer. ;-)
Did you try the quotes?
Willem

On 10-mrt-2010, at 15:58, Susan Day wrote:

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Geografiek <geograf...@geografiek.nl>wrote:

Hi Susan,
The error means that 'e.currentTarget.getChildByName(aChild).text' dies not
exist.

But it does too exist! Not fair! :(

I think the syntax should read
e.currentTarget.getChildByName("aChild").text (quotes around aChild as the
name of an object is a string)

That made sense, but it still threw the same error. So I tried this:

trace(e.currentTarget.numChildren);

and that, too, threw the same error, collaborating with your evaluation. However, I have these lines in the code that calls the function wherein the
trace is defined:

mySprite.addChild(aChild);
addChild(mySprite);

so clearly, mySprite, which is the currentTarget:

mySprite.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, onMouseOverHandler);

does indeed have a child. (This is beginning to remind me of certain
deadbeat fathers who divorce their wives and don't pay alimony lol.) What
do?
Susan