Hi John,

I don't really have any links that could help you, but here's a simplified
example from my code that might illustrate my point:

public function onFullScreen() {
        var s:Stage = Main.instance.stage;
        if (s.displayState != StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN){
                s.displayState = StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;

This method is in a Model class that has no connection to the stage, and
doesn't extend MovieClip or Sprite.  This means that I simply used
"stage.displayState" it would fail because stage would return null. So I'm
using a roundabout way of retrieving the stage instance from my Main class,
which is the Stage Owner (assigned to the stage in the Document properties
of the Flash IDE).

package {
public class Main extends MovieClip{
        static public var instance:Main;

public function Main() {
                instance = this;
}

All this is provided that the stage returning null is your problem in the
first place... Have you tried running a trace on the stage variable? A
simple trace("stage", stage) should tell you if this is your problem. If it
doesn't return a null, then your problem might be elsewhere. I'm not
familiar with AIR, so I couldn't help you there.

Karina