Can you set an "include" on the first frame of the added movie clip that adds the appropriate class to record the variables and then talk to the main timeline? You could maybe set the include statement in an onEnterFrame or its AS3 equiv.? Then the include statement would only get added when that frame entered the playhead? I am AS2 as well and am learning AS3 currently. Would like to know how this works as well.
Thanks,

Karl