i think that textfields treat returns (\n or \r) in what it expects to be
html text as whitespace

i'd recommend wrapping any html in <![CDATA[ ]]> and just inserting them
wholesale rather than getting them as children of a node

so
<thexml>
     <mynode><![CDATA[<p>This is a test. <em>Do not adjust your
</thexml>

which can be brought into a textfield like this

myText.htmlText = xml.mynode;