I hear you. The way flash handles fonts is a royal mess.

Have you tried this method?

http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/flash/text/Font.html#enumerateFonts()

It should give you a list of the fonts that are being embbeded in the SWF
and their names. It'll not fix the problem per se, but maybe it shows you
the name of the font as it's registered.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano