My *guess* is it does not release until you
1. close IE all together,
or
2. Pull up the same file name and it not be the exact same file,
IE:edits were made to the file.  Pulled "new" from the server.
or
3. have more time go before letting the page change or window close.
(Not the best recommendation)

It eventually will catch up and it will clear, but garbage collection as a whole is an unpredictable beast. I have always had a problem with IE caching my SWFs and almost fighting to let them go.
Does this same behavior happen for you in other browsers? Or just IE?
Have you looked into a Javascript DOM garbage collection?
Maybe do garbage collection on the swf, the swfObject and the DOM?
Sorry not much more help.

Best,
Karl