I would think that very few people have such slow machines and while they are out there do they really form part of your target audience?

What exactly are you doing to exercise the machines heavily?

Last year I worked on a project that involved animating 150+ avatars on screen together (with depth queues and collision detection) and naturally while the clients machines ran fine, I knew that for many people the experience would be poor - their machine would be unable to sustain the frame rate.

I decided what the lowest acceptable frame rate was and built in a counter to measure the actual frame rate on the users machine. If the frame rate dipped below the acceptable level I reduced the number of avatars until the frame rate recovered. This worked very well. It could also be used to increase the avatars if the user had a very fast machine.

So depending on your particular usage, you may be able to adapt to the users machine capabilities.

Paul