Hi Anthony,

For pitch analysis, what technique to use depends a lot on the specific
application and the expected signal.

Some considerations... Is the input monophonic (e.g. one singing voice or
single pitched instrument) or polyphonic (piano, orchestra, etc.)?  Does the
pitch analysis need to happen in real-time (i.e. from a live source), or can it
be done in a batch/non-real-time fashion (from a recording)?  What frequency
and time resolution do you need?  How computationally-intensive can it be?

Counting zero crossings is simple and efficient, but I wouldn't recommend it.
It'll work fine on sine tones, but on signals with any significant energy at
harmonics above the fundamental (i.e. virtually any real-world sound), it'll
tend to give you pitch estimates that are multiples of the actual pitch.
Low-pass filtering the input can alleviate that problem a bit.

Personally I've found that for most monophonic signals, auto-correlation-based
methods work best.  I can send you a well-commented C++ example that I coded up
a while ago.

For polyphonic pitch-detection, spectral-based methods are the way to go.
Typically the first stage of these is a windowed FFT, though some folks use
wavelet or constant-Q transforms instead.  I have a decent AS3 FFT here:
http://gerrybeauregard.wordpress.com/2010/08/03/an-even-faster-as3-fft/

Even for monophonic sources, if the fundamental is substantially stronger than
the other harmonics, simply using the biggest spectral peak may work.  My AS3
spectrum analyzer project would be a good place to start if you want to try
this approach.  Code is here:
http://gerrybeauregard.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/real-time-spectrum-analysis/
Live version here:
http://www.audiostretch.com/spectrum/

BTW, are you working on a commercial project?  If so, I'd be happy to do some
consulting/contracting work! ;-)

Cheers,

Gerry Beauregard
g.beaureg...@ieee.org