What's the best way to add signals to robotlegs?

Those of you coding in Robotlegs are probably familiar with signals being
used as a replacement for events. I'm looking to replace events in my app
for signals but there seem to be two methods of implementing them.

The first has been demonstrated by John Lindquist here:
http://johnlindquist.com/2010/01/21/as3-signals-tutorial/ . He uses signal
methods like 'suphero.punch(string)' to get this done.

The other method uses Joel Hook's CommandSignal and SignalContext (github
here: https://github.com/joelhooks/signals-extensions-CommandSignal ). This
can be coupled with Stray's SignalMediator (
https://github.com/Stray/robotlegs-utilities-SignalMediator ) and instead of
using signal methods like John, it involves creating a single signal for a
given command. This would probably involve creating many more classes than
the first method.

This is what I understand of the two methods. Does anybody know why I would
want to do one over the other? And if they do would they have any advice on
how best to implement it (particularly with the CommandSignals and how to
best deal with so many classes floating around)?