so you are using the timeline a lot and you'd like to move to a code
framework?

i highly recommend lee brimelow's site: http://gotoandlearn.com as a great
starting point for any research project you are thinking about. Adobe has
launched the Starling framework for creating 2d games that use the gpu for
rendering - i'm not sure if that's the direction you want to go (lee has a
couple of tutorials on this)

let us know if this is what you're looking to get into

best