Some great resources throughout these posts.
Thank you so much.

Personally, I hope Adobe come storming back with some new tools next iteration.

John

On 25/01/2013 13:03, Marco Terrinoni wrote:
Not too sure about conferences. We have UX in London but not sure how much
focus is on JS.

On the forum / educational side I have found the following resources
invaluable:

CSS
www.css-tricks.com
Chris Coyier's screencasts and blog posts are awesome for learning simple
and advanced css authoring and keeping up-to-date with best practices.

Experts Exchange
http://www.experts-exchange.com/
This is a subscription based service but the quality of programming advice
for every language including JS is well worth it

For IDE's it's difficult and for me, the single biggest barrier to entry
because of the huge number of development options. The key is to find a
workflow that works best for you but the following resources I cannot
recommend highly enough:
- Sublime Text 2
- Wordpress (Bones HTML5 Development Theme)
- CSS using SASS (Compass.App)
- Greensock Animation Library

Sublime Text 2 - Text Editor
http://www.sublimetext.com/2
There are thousands of extensions and packages I don't know where to begin

If you're learning HTML5 then learning responsive design techniques is a
must - this involves using CSS media queries so once you have grasped the
basics of CSS, be sure to move to using pre-processing language like SASS or
LESS - there's a great article on css tricks about the benefits and merits
of each method. I use SASS and it's sped up my whole development  process 10
fold!). To do this on Windows I use compass.app

http://compass.handlino.com/
If you're using Mac, then Codekit includes libraries for compass.

I do a lot of web development in Wordpress, there are a lot of great
resources out there but if you're really looking to learn best practices for
Responsive Web Design then you cannot go wrong with the Bones HTML5 Theme,
amazingly well commented
http://themble.com/bones/

Animation:
jQuery is obviously ubiquitous but if you're a flasher then you've probably
used Tweenmax in AS3 and if you loved using that as much as I did then you
should definitely try the new Greensock for JavaScript library.
http://www.greensock.com/
It provides a nice, familiar syntax and a ton of plugins that make animation
in html5 a lot easier than using jQuery plugins which seem to have a short
shelve life due to continual updates of the jQuery library (Can also be used
on conjunction with jQuery).

I haven't tried Sencha yet but look forward to dipping my toe soon.

If you're looking to develop purely in Javascript using MVC design patterns
then a framework like backbone.js , dojo or node.js get a lot of mentions
though I haven't looked into any of this seriously yet.

Cheers

Marco Terrinoni - Director
MULARAM  PRODUCTIONS
web design // animation // illustration