https://flashrom.org/how_to_support_flashrom.html#building-and-testing
Known issue: https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/370

More details:

In two weeks, on 28 June, we update the VERSION file to 1.4.0-rc1 and
put a tag v1.4.0-rc1 (which means the first release candidate).

>From that moment, we open a 4-weeks window for testing and bugfixing.
That is from 28 June to 26 July. During this window, bug fixes will be
reviewed and submitted, but things like new features/refactorings etc
will need to wait until 26 July. Just to be clear, any patch with new
feature can be pushed and reviewed, it just won't be submitted until
26 July.

Any help is very much appreciated during this time.

If needed, we can create v1.4.0-rc2 during the window

On 26 July, we update the VERSION file to 1.4.0 and put a tag v1.4.0
Then, there will be an announcement about the release, with the link
to full release notes.

After all that, VERSION file will be updated to 1.5.0-devel, all the
patches that are ready and have been waiting, will be submitted, and
everything gets back to normal.

If later a point release is needed, it will be branched from v1.4.0 tag.

Also, we plan to do another release later this year. So everything
that didn't get submitted until 28 June (and by this didn't get into
1.4), can get into 1.5 later this year.

Note there is a known issue: https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/370

--
Anastasia.