Angel Pons <th3fan...@gmail.com> writes:

> Newer chips support SFDP (Serial Flash Discoverable Parameter), a
> specification that allows (at least) SPI flash chips to self-document
> themselves to software, and that nearly all flash chips from the last
> decade or so support. So, I would highly recommend using SFDP to
> differentiate between flash chips with same ID but different
> capabilities, and thus rule out incompatible chip definitions. One can
> even use whether the probed flash chip supports SFDP to rule out
> entries (a flash chip that does not respond to SFDP should not be used
> with a chip definition of a SFDP-capable chip). Unfortunately, it
> looks like the flashchips database does not have a feature flag for
> SFDP (just a bunch of comments that may or may not be accurate).

Ah, I had no idea.  I think you are wise to suggest that SFDP be used
when available and for that data to be part of the info that is treated
as identity.

>>   Are there chips whose IDs have been reused that we are willing to say
>>   that essentially none of them are in service, so that flashrom can
>>   just treat any with that ID as the new version?  This is a combination
>>   of "will doing this brick the old ones" and "how many are there".
>>   This is really a secondary question; the main one is how to use both.
>
> I believe ID reusing became noticeably more common after SFDP got
> introduced, as SFDP provides significantly more detailed information
> about a flash chip's capabilities. Flash chips still have IDs because
> older software may rely on them. And yes, I am implying (and
> hereinafter explicitly stating) that flashrom is "old software": while
> it does incorporate SFDP support, it does not take advantage of SFDP
> to enhance matching against the flashchips database.

It sounds like using SFDP is the right answer then.

>> I don't really see "end of life" as the real issue.   I see it as "chip
>> vendor has shipped two kinds of chips with the same ID and we need to
>> invoke some further disambiguation mechanism before we operate on it".
>>
>> The fact that they did it because they stopped selling the other one,
>> rather than that they did it because they are just confused, is not
>> really relevant.  The only thing that matters is that when flashrom
>> reads that ID, it does not know what chip it is dealing with.
>
> This. Even if one were to mark chip definitions for older chips as
> "end of life", there are more cases of ID reuse happening with *newer*
> chips that would not be dealt with.
>
> IMHO, this "end of life" flag would be like applying a band-aid to to
> someone who lost a loved one (it does not help, and it probably makes
> things worse).

:-)

But sounds like we agree, even more so after you have unconfused me
about SFDP.

> Given that there were only two people in the meeting, it is likely
> that things everyone agreed with were never questioned. Fortunately,
> posting the meeting minutes on the mailing list brought this to the
> attention of a much larger audience (*waves at the reader*).

Indeed. It is a huge positive to have sent this to the list and this is
a great discussion.

> To me, the idea of a "flashrom revision code" sounds extremely
> cumbersome to maintain. Who assigns flashrom revision codes, for both
> existing chip definitions and new ones? Why would revision codes exist
> when there's chip definition names?

It was my guess at how to work around truly not being able to tell.
I withdraw it in favor of SFDP.