If this is what you are looking for.

This example using htttrequest, resultformat="XML", if your result
format is default(i.e, object) just bind the list dataprovider to
serv.lastResult.users.student, it should work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="vertical">

        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;
                        import mx.events.ListEvent;
                        import mx.events.ItemClickEvent;

                        [Bindable]
                        private var listData:XML;

                        /*  */
                        private function onItemClick( event:ListEvent ):void
                        {
                                trace(event.currentTarget.selectedItem.data)
                        }

                        /*  */
                        private function onResult( event:ResultEvent ):void
                        {
                                listData = XML(event.result);
                        }
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>

        <mx:HTTPService id="serv" url="assets/data.xml" resultFormat="xml"
                result="onResult( event )"/>

        <mx:List
                creationComplete="serv.send()"
                dataProvider="{listData.student}"