I think just by replacing the Image on the hard drive wont dispatch
any event which will intimate the Flex to update.

You can use XML to define paths of the images and read that XML using
HTTPService. But everytime you replace the image, you will have to
call the HTTPService again.

Other option could be Data Management Service, but I am not sure of
that.

HTH,

-Ravi