It is Working Fine for me using byte[]

my java code:
-----------------------------
public byte[] sayHello()
     {
        System.out.println(" Say Hello ");
        try {
                        File  file=new File ("D:/image014.gif");
                        FileInputStream fin = new FileInputStream(file);
                        byte fileContent[] = new byte[(int)file.length()];
                        fin.read(fileContent);
                        return fileContent;

                } catch (Exception e)
                {
                        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                        e.printStackTrace();
                }
        return null;

    }
my flex code:

[Bindable]
var img:ByteArray=null;

private function resultHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
{
                                trace("Result "+event.result);
                                img= event.result as ByteArray;

}