*...@ram*
I have faced same problem in one of my project. I had a quick fix for that.
Here is piece of code

                        <mx:DataGridColumn dataField="@type">
                            <mx:itemRenderer>
                                <mx:Component>
                                    <mx:Panel
                                        creationComplete="setView()"
                                        dataChange="setView()"

                                        x="65" y="130"
                                        ...................... >

                                            <mx:Script>
                                                <![CDATA[

                                                    public function
setView():void
                                                    {
                                                        if(something){
                                                           //color equals
black
                                                         }
                                                         else{
                                                           //color equals
red
                                                         }
                                                     }

Here im calling setView() on both event creationComplete, dataChange.
Doing like this may solve the problem.

*...@ravi,* Please do comment on the code, say whether this was the proper way
or was there any other best method.

--