Also is there any easy way to change the accordion action from mouse
click to mouse over. So that if we just have the mouse over an
accordion name the canvas comes up. I tried the same using simple
mouseOver action and selected index but couldnt get that also to
work :)

I think for this one, you just have to work on few mx.internals of the
accordion and that will do it. But it varies with every release of flex. And
touching the internal files is not advised as it will reduce the portability
and compatibility of your app. But for fun you can achieve it. Try googling
your self. Are tell me about your flex version i will help out.