Hi,

>From my knowledge to send an email from flex, you need a server side script
that you will call from your application.
I found a short tutorial if you are using coldfusion(
http://tutorial8.flexcf.com/) that I think will help you.
I personally used php as a server side script for sending email. To call a
php script you could use HTTPService or RemoteObject.

So basically you construct the logic for detecting when to send the email
and call the server side script when the conditions are met.
E.g of logic: 1. define a const that holds the condition for sending e-mail
(date is within a week)
                  2. load the mysql data in your flex application
                  3. check the condition with the mysql data
                  4. call server side script and pass the contextual data(to
whom should the e-mails be sent)

Hope this helps.