I tried the below example code and it works fine

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="vertical"
viewSourceURL="srcview/index.html" applicationComplete="init()">
<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
import com.adobe.linguistics.spelling.SpellUI;
import com.adobe.linguistics.spelling.framework.SpellingConfiguration;
import com.adobe.linguistics.spelling.framework.ResourceTable;

public function init():void
{
var resourceTable:ResourceTable = new ResourceTable();
resourceTable.setResource("en_US", {rule:"data/en_US.aff",
dict:"data/en_US.dic"});
SpellingConfiguration.resourceTable = resourceTable;
}
]]>
</mx:Script>

<mx:Label text="Squiggly Spell Checker Flex Demo v0.6" fontSize="30"/>

<mx:TabNavigator width="60%" height="100%" fontSize="20">
<mx:Canvas label="English" width="100%" height="100%">
<mx:TextArea id="ta_en" width="100%" height="100%"
text="I know Enlish. Use the context menu to see the suggestions of the
missbelled word."
creationComplete="SpellUI.enableSpelling(ta_en, 'en_US');"/>
</mx:Canvas>

</mx:TabNavigator>
</mx:Application>

I got the Squggly package http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/squiggly/ and
placed the dictionary files in proper location, ensured the build path has
the proper SWC files(AdobeLinguisticUtils.swc, AdobeSpellingEngine.swc,
AdobeSpellingFramework.swc,
AdobeSpellingUI.swc, AdobeSpellingUIEx.swc, AdobeSpellingUITLF.swc) in the
project(myapplication directory) libs folder and in the bin-debug/libs
folder also.

I also ensured that the dictionary files en_US.dic and en_US.aff are in the
bin-debug/dictionaries

I tried adding an error handler(as suggested at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3260608/flash-error-error-2044-unhandled-ioerror-text-error-2032-stream-error-ur
)
before the window is opened to catch the Unhandled ioError:. text=Error
#2032:, but the error is not caught by the error handler

The application is built using Flex 4.5.1 SDK as the front end, Coldfusion
9 as middle tier, MySQL 5.5 as back end and uses IIS 7 as the web server.

What could be causing it? Since the example code works properly, I estimate
when my Web application tries to use the dictionaries there is an issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated