In short, I don't think so, you are pretty much in a sand box as you run an Air app. I haven't checked the state of play with 4.5, things have maybe improved.

I think that Adobe are terrified that someone will write a virus in Air! So they keep you away from all that system level stuff... All a little bit nanny state to my mind, Air should have access to the system to be a viable language IMO, no-one blames Microsoft for all the VB malware out there!

I mentioned FlourineFX as a last week, it provides access to .NET but I think it only works on Windows (although it is compatible with Mono). Might be a way to do it? I'm not a .NET guy so don't know what's in there :)

Regards,
Pete