We've been struggling with getting remote data into a mx:DataGrid.

First we tried using a remote Java object with a method that returns a
List of classes which encapsulate a handful of variables with
accessor/mutator methods. When I use this List (which ActionScript
turns into an Array) as the dataProvider for a mx:List, I see the
values of each object, something like this:

Brian, Christian, Student, 1
John, Smith, Developer, 2
Jane, Doe, Manager, 3

I have a few questions:

(1) How is it possible that a List of objects which contain private
variables is turned into what looks like an Array of strings of those
variables separated by commas?

(2) How can I get, for example, "Christian" from the first line?

(3) What is the best way to populate a DataGrid with this type of data
coming in from the remote object?

In the interest of #3, we tried an alternate approach: we tried using
a remote Java object with a method that returns a String, in XML
them. The handler function for this data parses it into an XML
variable. When I've tried to use this XML variable as the
dataProvider for the DataGrid, nothing's been showing up, although the
XML variable will display correctly in TextAreas. I'm assuming I just
have the syntax wrong...

What would the appropriate syntax be to populate a data grid with an
ActionScript XML variable?

Thanks!