This is a regularly requested feature for the List based controls, but for now, yes you need to iterate through the ComboBox.dataProvider, till you match values the set the selectedIndex.

Add your request to http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/

Tracy

From: Rob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [flexcoders] Simple ComboBox Question

Say I have a list of states in a ComboBox…the dataProvider provides the data property as the state abbreviation (CA, NV, etc.) and the label is the full state name.

How do I programmatically (in AS) select a state as the default state selected in the ComboBox?  Do I have to do a getDataProvider() and then parse through the list of states to find the index of the state I want, and then set the ComboBox value to that number?  Most other 4th GLs provide at least a findItem() method or equivalent…I can’t seem to find that at least in the docs that I have…

Thanks for any info.