You want the name of the class or the class itself?  The type property in the descriptor is the class itself.  I think you might be able to get the class name by then getting the undocumented symbolName property from the class object.

Matt

From: bhaq1972 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 20051:30 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: childDescriptors array/ UIObjectDescriptors.id i s undefined

Hi Matt

> conflicts).  What you'd want to dois after creation give your
> parentDocument a property with the nameas your class.

The problem is i'm also interested in objects before creation. I'm
actually interested in the className but if the component hasn't
been created, you get 'undefined'
eg

var mycomponent = container[i];   // container=a flex container
var myclassname = mycomponent.className
//myclassname always=undefined if component hasnt been created

However, childDescriptors does have info about children before its
created.

My idea was to make the @id same as the className, then i can do this

var myclassname = container[i].childDescriptors[i2].id

This works but i dont want to go round giving all my components @id.

i tried id = className  early on which works, but the
childDescriptors array doesnt pick it up.

thanks

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Chotin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure why you want the id to be the same as the class
name.  It may
> not work as you want (having ids the same as a class name can lead
to weird
> conflicts).  What you'd want to dois after creation give your
> parentDocument a property with the nameas your class.
>

> Matt
>

>   _____

UIObjectDescriptors.id is
> undefined
>

> Hi
> As i understand things the childDescriptors array (an array of
> UIObjectDescriptors) is created/populated when you create the mxml.
> When i do this
>
> <myCustomComponent id="myCustomComponent">
> </myCustomComponent>
>
> the id property of the UIObjectDescriptor is 'myCustomComponent'.
> which is correct.
>
> Is there a way i can force the id to bethe className (ie
> myCustomComponent in this case)
>
> I tried 'id = className' in the constructor of myBox (which
extends
> a mx:Box class).....the base container of myCustomComponent i.e.
>
> myCustomComponent.mxml
> <myBox>
> </myBox>
>

> thanks
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294ah6uo/M=298184.6018725.7038619.30011
76/D=gr

oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1110553365/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http
:/www.n